
Doctor’s Last Conversation With His Father Revealed Before He Died at 40 in Red Sea Submarine Tragedy
Tourist submarine sinks in Egypt with Russian family aboard — officials mistakenly list mother as dead before heart-stopping truth emerges.
It was meant to be a
dream vacation
under the crystal blue waters of the Red Sea. But instead, it ended in
unimaginable heartbreak
. A Russian doctor’s final words to his father—spoken with excitement and love—would soon echo with
devastating finality
.
Dr. Ravil Valiullin
, 40, boarded the Sindbad submarine off the coast of Hurghada, Egypt, with his wife Kristina, 38, and their two young daughters, aged 10 and 15, for what was supposed to be a joyful family excursion on March 21. But within days, a
catastrophic
underwater disaster
would claim his life—and spark a global whirlwind of confusion, grief, and tragedy.
Mothers Misidentified as Dead, Children Caught in Chaos
Initial
reports
from Russian media described an unthinkable scene:
Kristina and Ravil
were both presumed dead in a submersible accident during a sightseeing tour, sending shockwaves through their hometown of Urussu, Tatarstan. The couple, both beloved local doctors, had taken the trip as a long-awaited break—one they would never forget.
“I can neither confirm nor deny,”
said
Liliya Galimova, head of the RT Raisa press service, as the situation descended into frantic uncertainty. “Since we rely on information that comes directly from the scene, from Egypt. As we can see, the information there is constantly changing. Apparently, time is needed. We will wait for clarification.”
Back home in Urussu,
Kristina’s mother
anxiously watched over the family home as the return date of April 1 loomed—with no certainty her daughter and granddaughters would ever return.
A Miraculous Correction—and a Harrowing Loss
Then, in a stunning turn of events, SHOT
reported
that Kristina and her daughters were, in fact,
alive
. The mother of two had been
wrongly listed
among the deceased by Egyptian authorities—but the mistake was rectified.
The same could not be said for her husband.
Dr. Ravil Valiullin
, a respected anesthesiologist-resuscitator, was
confirmed
among the six Russian nationals who perished in the accident. He was just 40 years old.
The submersible carried around 50 people from Russia, India, Norway, and Sweden, officials said. Seven Russian tourists
remain under medical supervision
following the ordeal.
“They Were Gold, Not People!” – Town in Mourning
Urussu is a town in tears. Kristina and Ravil were
admired pillars
of the community. She, a pediatrician known for her warmth. He, a lifesaver in the emergency ward. They were married in medicine, having met in school and
worked side by side
at the same hospital for six years.
“They were gold, not people! They loved each other very much,” their
grief-stricken colleagues
said
, their voices cracking with sorrow.
Ravil’s father also
opened his heart to the press
, sharing what would be their final conversation—a chilling echo of the tragedy to come: “They said they were going on an underwater excursion with the whole family. They wanted to show the children the fish,” he
recalled
.
Marcel Minnullin
,
the Minister of Health of the Republic of Tatarstan
,
called
them “highly qualified specialists” who treated their patients with “professionalism and dignity.” Their loss, he said, was a “great one for both the local community and the region’s healthcare system.”
Inside the Doomed Submarine: Confusion and Chaos
The
tragic incident
was first covered by the BBC, which reported that the submarine—called
Sindbad
, a long-operating tour vessel—sank on the morning of
March 27
, just off the Egyptian resort city of Hurghada.
In its 12:28 p.m. bulletin, the BBC
confirmed
that at least six people were feared dead.
By 12:30 p.m., the vessel had been identified.
Sindbad Submarines
, its operator,
touts
itself as providing “lasting memories through immersive aquatic adventures.”
This time, the memories were marred by
terror and confusion
.

A view showing the calm weather conditions of the Red Sea near where the Sindbad tourist submarine sunk in Hurghada, Egypt on March 27, 2025. | Source: Getty Images
The Mystery Deepens as Conditions Appear Calm
At 3:11 p.m.,
grim images
emerged from the Egyptian Hospital where victims were rushed. Police guarded the facility’s doors, and the sense of urgency hung thick in the air.
Nine were injured
, the BBC said—four critically—but the worst was still unfolding.

A view of boats on the Red Sea near where the Sindbad tourist submarine sunk. | Source: Getty Images
Then came an eerie detail. At 3:31 p.m., the BBC
debunked
weather speculation
: no rough seas, no high winds, no cloud cover. Wind was a gentle 5 mph. Waves were less than 0.2 meters.
So
how could a submarine just sink
?
At 3:50 p.m.,
visuals
showed a line of
ambulances and emergency boats
stationed at the harbor. A second Sindbad vessel, eerily untouched, floated nearby—a haunting reminder of what should have been a routine journey.
“We Heard the Ambulance Sirens…” – Tourist Speaks Out
A tourist staying at the nearby
Sindbad Club
told
the BBC, “We heard the ambulance sirens which lasted a long time and there are still at least three ambulances at the harbour [sic].”
Their account matched updates from
Al-Masry Al-Youm
, an Egyptian outlet that
reported
multiple ambulances were dispatched immediately, suggesting the magnitude of
the unfolding crisis
.
Still, no official cause has been revealed.
Calm Seas, Chaos Below: Haunting Images from the Scene
Al-Masry Al-Youm shared a haunting Instagram
video
showing the still waters of the
Red Sea
, boats scattered across the surface near the accident site. Calm on the outside—but beneath,
a scene of heartbreak
.
At 4:10 p.m., the BBC cited
Viktor Voropaev
, Russia’s consul general in Hurghada, who
confirmed
that five Russian nationals, including two children, had died.
That figure differed from earlier reports by the
Russian Embassy in Cairo
, which first said four were killed and all aboard were Russian citizens.
In a
formal
statement
, the embassy clarified that most victims were clients of Biblio Globus, a travel agency. Russian diplomats had arrived at the
Sindbad hotel pier
to assist on-site.
Some survivors were said to be in stable condition, though several identities
remained unconfirmed
. The embassy also cited a higher total of 45 tourists, not 40 as earlier stated.
Official Closure Comes—but Questions Remain
At last, Red Sea Governor
Amr Hanafy
gave an update. In a
statement
shared via Facebook, he said six tourists had died, 39 rescued, and no one remained missing.
A measure of closure, perhaps—but no comfort for families like the Valiullins, whose lives were ripped apart beneath the sea.
And now, all eyes turn to the investigation. What caused a trusted tourist submarine to plunge into tragedy under calm waters?
What do YOU think caused this tragic sinking? Should tourist submarines be banned until safety is guaranteed? Sound off in the comments below!